When you plan a business trip, packing light is crucial. However, you would still need to carry some bulky business attire and other essentials. Experienced travelers are well aware of the inconveniences of checked baggage, which is why most prefer to pack everything in cabin bags.
Since there are size restrictions for the bags you can carry on any flight, packing light is a skill every business traveler needs to master. Here are a few tips that will help you pack lighter for your next business trip:
1. Pack the Right Bag
As mentioned, carry-on luggage is the perfect option when you want to travel light. However, the situation changes if you’re going for a more extended period and are carrying a check-in bag. In such cases, your best option is to either opt for a full-size hanger bag that has plenty of room for several suits and shirts or an upright suitcase. However, if you wish to pack all items in a single bag, there are some things to keep in view:
- Dimensions of the Bag – Consider purchasing a large bag that can easily store all your essentials. However, see to it that the dimensions are as per airline limits. Check the current standards of all major airlines before you purchase new luggage, and consider buying one that meets European standards as well.
- Style of the Bag – A small suitcase with wheels and rectangular sides is one of the most common types of carry-on bags. It’s essentially a smaller suitcase that works perfectly. Some other options you can choose from are smaller hanger bags, athletic-style bags, military-style bags, and large messenger bags.
2. Stick to the Essentials
Remember that it’s crucial to pack light for business trips. You can pack versatile attire that can easily be mixed to create different outfits. You can pull off various looks based on the number of layers you have. Besides, this adaptability helps you adjust to changes in the weather as well.
Layering gives you the option to put on a light jacket if it’s cold or remove a layer if it gets warm. When you have several layers of clothing, you can either amp up or dress down based on the occasion.
Packing several layers doesn’t necessarily mean you have to pack heavy. As long as you pack items that can be combined, you’re good. Avoid carrying colorful clothes; opt for more neutrals, whites, and blacks instead. For example, you can easily mix-and-match your outfits if you carry a pair of black pants, a few neutral or white shirts or tops, and a few black jackets.
The challenge while packing a bag is to carry all the things you need without wrinkling your clothes or making your bag heavy. If you have some spare time before a business meeting, you can be significantly more relaxed and even iron out your clothes at the hotel. However, it’s best to pack smartly to avoid any delays. Some things you can do include:
- Consider placing all heavy items at the bottom of the bag.
- Put your shoes in a bag to prevent your clothes for getting dirty.
- You can even fold all your clothes vertically and roll them loosely while placing them in your bag.
- Avoid packing items like shampoo, conditioner, or hair dryers as most hotels provide these items to their guests.
- Pack only essential toiletries like a small razor, travel toothbrush, and toothpaste, as well as contact lens solution if required.
These are just some of the things you can do to pack lightly for your next corporate trip. You will find that it’s convenient and comfortable to travel with fewer things and less luggage.